PMDD or Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder is undoubtedly a devastating medical experience for females. A female undergoing the said medical condition faces mood swings, anger, high irritation quotient, and even throbbing pains such as headaches and cramps. Moreover, the worst aspect of the condition is that even the near and dear ones of the woman bear the brunt of the following condition. So, the question is, what are the major steps of treating the premenstrual dysphoric disorder.
What Is Actually PMDD or Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder?
PMDD is basically a hormone-based medical condition which is similar to PMS or premenstrual syndrome. It initiates in a week or two just before your menstrual period. The reason being that hormone levels fall immensely after ovulation. PMDD usually affects 5 percent of women who are of childbearing age. Also, women suffering from the said condition may experience depression or anxiety.
What Are The Symptoms Of PMDD?
Some of the major symptoms of PMDD include:
- Trouble in sleeping;
- Frequent bouts of anger;
- Mood swings;
- Panic attacks;
- Joint pains;
- Breast tenderness.
Causes Of PMDD
Though researchers are not aware of the real cause of PMDD, many studies have suggested that it is an abnormal reaction to the hormone changes occurring in your body. Being aware of these causes lends a helping hand to medical practitioners in treating PMDD.
Many studies have proven a strong connection between PMDD as well as reduced levels of Serotonin. It is a chemical in the brain that assists in transmitting nerve signals. There are some brain cells that make use of this serotonin to control concentration levels, pain, sleeping patterns, and mood swings. Hormonal changes that cause a reduction in the serotonin levels lead to symptoms of PMDD.
Caring Tips For PMDD
Though there are many medical treatments available for PMDD, there are some self-caring tips for PMDD as well. These include:
- Talking with someone whom you trust immensely. Though many ladies find it uncomfortable to talk about their reproductive health, when you suffer from PMDD, talking becomes the need of the hour.
- It is often advisable to be in contact with an organization or a forum that specializes in the field of offering support for PMDD. These organizations can assist you in finding the right support system for the said condition.
- Peer support can also be a self-caring treatment for the said medical condition. There are many peer support groups available around you. The need is only to research and look for a suitable support system.
- If you face the symptoms, look for the pattern of these symptoms. This will help you get prepared in advance when you are aware of these symptoms. You can also plan some relaxing activities during the time to get your body in a comfortable position.
- Also, create a self-care box that may contain things that can lighten up your mood during a stressful time.
- Look after your emotional well being and also your physical health.